Monday, April 4, 2011
A crunchy streusel topping makes these muffins irresistible!
Prep: 20 minutes • Total: 40 minutes • Makes 12 muffins
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 2⁄3 cup old-fashioned oats
• 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread, melted
• 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup old-fashioned oats
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1⁄2 cup nonfat (skim) milk
• 1⁄2 cup butternut squash or carrot puree
• 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
• 1⁄4 cup vegetable or canola oil
• 1 large egg
1 Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
2 To make the topping, stir together the oats, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in the margarine.
3 To make the batter, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl or zipperlock bag and stir or shake to mix. In a second bowl, mix the applesauce with the milk, vegetable puree, sugar, oil, and egg with a wooden spoon. Add the flour mixture slowly, stirring until just moistened. Do not overmix—the batter is supposed to be lumpy.
4 Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel topping. Bake until the topping is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the muffins, 18 to 20 minutes. Turn the muffins out onto a rack and serve warm or cool.
For more recipes : Click here